COVID-19 response at 4D LABS - Updated March 27
This page will continually provide an update on 4D LABS' operations and how we are working to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We are following the lead of SFU's administration and the local authorities. You can always find the latest updates on SFU's response here: https://www.sfu.ca/covid19
Effective end of day on March 27, 2020, we are further restricting the work that can be done in 4D LABS in line with guidance from SFU and local authorities. All non-essential academic research will be postponed until the situation improves. If you have a waiver from your institution for essential research work, please contact us to arrange access. All non-critical industrial research will also be postponed. If your work is critical to your company's operations, please contact us to arrange access. You will need to complete a daily health screening form in order to access the lab. We will continue to have 2-3 staff members on site during the week, though that is subject to change.
We hope to continue this arrangement until things improve. However, if the provincial government mandates a stay-at-home order for all non-essential people, then we will only remain open for companies and researchers categorized as essential by the provincial government. We will have minimal staff on hand at that time.
Thank-you for your understanding and patience as we manage through this challenging situation.
We are taking additional precautions and modifying some of our procedures:
- Everyone entering the facility will need to complete a health screening form prior to entry. Anyone who is sick, has been sick in the last 14 days, has travelled in the last 14 days, or has been in close contact with any of the above will not be allowed to enter 4D LABS.
- Only one person from the Fabrication team and one person from the Characterization team will be on-site on a given day. This will rotate through the week, but all should be accessible by email.
- The maximum number of people in a single room will be limited to 1, except for some of the larger labs which are limited to 2 or 3. This restriction includes users and staff.
- All training is postponed. Staff are available to run samples for critical work, but with delayed turnaround times.
- We recommend bringing your own lab coat and safety glasses to 4D LABS. If you need to use our safety glasses, please clean them with IPA before and after using them.
- Guest Clean Room gowns will no longer be shared. Please talk to our staff member on site if you need to rent a Clean Room gown.
- As always, please follow hand-washing guidelines and 'social distancing'. Please don't be offended when we keep our distance.
- We have had to cancel visits from international equipment engineers. This is delaying the repairs of some equipment and may prolong downtimes.
Unfortunately our service levels will be reduced during this time, but we will do our best to help you out. These are short term measures and we will come back to full operations as soon as possible.
Please stay safe, follow the physical distancing guidelines, and keep in touch with your families and friends. Physical distancing is not social isolation. We're lucky that we have many methods of communication that do not require in-person contacts.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Director of Operations, 4D LABS